Thursday, December 16, 2004

What is it worth?

I am addicted to shows like Antiques Road Show, Flog It, Bargain hunt etc... All are obsessed with the value of old things. Nothing I really own is valuable, okay perhaps my sister would disagree because I inherited my grandmother's 3 karat diamond ring when I got married. But that value is, at least to me, irrelevant. I could never sell my diamond ring.

Where is this all heading? Well back in 1997 I was working for a printing company here in Jerusalem. At the time they were printing a series of commemorative postcards for KKL (Keren Kayemeth L'Yisrael) for the upcoming Israel 50th Anniversary celebrations. I thought the postcards were amazing and beautiful so I went down to the press and took 2 sheets of uncut postcards off the press. One was given to my ex-boyfriend, which he eventually got framed and put on the wall, and I have the other.

I have often wondered if they will be worth something one day, and to whom? Where would I go to find out. I mean, as far as I know we have the only 2 non-cut versions of these postcards. Ebay just doesn't seem like the appropriate place...