Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Driving me mad....!

A few weeks ago we went out for dinner in Jerusalem and heard the couple at the next table talking about a "fake" policeman on the road from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv. The next day on my way to Tel Aviv I was telling my father that there was supposedly a "fake" policeman on the road somewhere. He said to me "don't know about that but you better slow down there's a policeman up ahead" (FTR - I don't usually speed, only when we are running very late, inevitably not my fault, and we have to get to Ashkelon which is 40 minutes away and shabbat is coming in 27 minutes). Anyway back to my story.

So I slowed down a bit, only realizing once I had passed, that what I was seeing was the "fake" policeman. A week later the policeman had been removed. Apparently he caused so many accidents from drivers either slowing down to look at him or slamming on their brakes, not realizing that he wasn't real, that the end result didn't justify the means.

Now it has been a long standing gripe of mine that Israel does not do enough to protect people on the roads. Many people make light of the dangerous roads/drivers here in Israel.
But I honestly believe that Israel needs to have a lot more police on its' roads. If more police were on the roads handing out tickets to traffic offenders it would be the biggest incentive for drivers to abide by the laws, right now there is not enough to lose from speeding.

1) The money that would be made from handing out hefty fines for breaking the traffic laws would hopefully be enough to finance the cost of keeping more police on the roads.
2) Israelis need to learn not to tailgate the car in front. I can't stand it when the car behind drives on my tuches, I slow down when that happens.
3) What of the idiots who pass through a traffic intersection when there is no room on the other side?
4) Or the morons who don't stop for pedestrians at a crossing... it's endless!

I think I will walk home tonight!

Incidentally Danny Bermant has lots to say about Israeli drivers.