Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Of Hobbits and Rings

I am reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the second time in one year. (married life really is fun - trust me).

What prompted me to do it was a recent discussion with a visiting friend, about the relevance of Tom Bombadil to the story (don't bother reading on if you aren't a Lord's fan - you may get a headache from it).

This friend of mine mentioned that she thought Tom Bombadil was probably way more important to the story than most people credit him. She likened him to a God. I couldn't remember much about the Tom Bombadil part of the story except the fact that my Husband and I had great difficulty interpreting it.

Second time lucky: I have concluded that Tom Bombadil is essential to the story. Whether he is a God or not, I cannot comment, that is up to each and every reader. One thing that astounds me personally is the vast amount of content dedicated to this topic (do a google search).

Even more astounding, I actually read a very lengthy discussion on this topic here, and not only did I enjoy reading it but sometimes, particularly more recently, I find myself pondering the ifsandsandbuts and whatwouldhavebeens if chas veshalom Frodo hadn't managed to destroy the ring?

It is a rare and wonderful book that allows its' reader such an insight into the imagination of the author. So much so, that people are talking about, questioning, and pondering the story years and years after his/her death. No matter what their interpretation may be!

Thank you JRRT