Wednesday, December 15, 2004

A different cause

For years my sister has been writing to a guy on Death Row.

I asked her why and she responded;

"I started to write to someone on death row because I got tired of being against something and not doing anything about it. And now I write to him because he is my friend and I am his friend and I care about him and in my own small way I make his life just a tiny bit better"
I have never stopped to consider people who are in jail, let alone death row, although for years I have been secretly proud of my sister for her initiative. I guess, somewhat naively, I thought they must be guilty of something so they deserve to be there. I recently came across a website for The Aleph Institute, a non-profit in America, through whom you can now write to a Jewish penpal serving time in Jail. I think I will sign up - will you?

My little sis can teach me alot about being humble - thanks