Thursday, March 31, 2005

Can anyone say the word...

So I went to my first ever football match!

It was great, we played brilliantly and I was only slightly disappointed that Henry didn't get to play. It was an added bonus that he spent most of the game warming up his cute little tush right in front of my eyes. Now back to the game.

Everytime the ball went near the French goalie the crowd boo'ed. I am sure half the people there didn't boo Haman's name that much on Purim last week, and I think Haman's crimes were slightly more dangerous than the French player. But as Gilly says in his article here, I am sure it is justifiable because he used to play for Man U. I still think it gave him too much attention and it would have been much more disconcerting if the whole stadium had gone quiet and everyone had hung their heads... Think of being at a football match and suddenly everything goes quiet and everyone is looking at the ground, WAY more effective I think!

I also was shocked to learn that the most popular chant in Israel is one where one side of the stadium yells "Yisrael B'Milchama" and the other answers "Yisrael B'Milchama" (Israel at War basically). Surely this is the MOST inappropriate chant to ever be chanted in the history of chants? Surely we can come up with SOMETHING a little less controversial? Surely the version that I yelled out at the top of my little poor lungs last night "Yisrael B'Ahava" would be more Politically Correct... Surely NOT!

Oh well - can't wait for my next game - even tried to convince my hubby that we should definately go to Ireland for the game in June... Can anyone say the word f a n a t i c...

Oh and all those garinim.... gross! (Talk about culture differences, the people around us were munching garinim and we were eating fried wasabe seeds :)

Oh and well done to the 2 Irish fans who stuck around Israel and came to support the Israeli game against France. We love you Ireland and as for the French *insert appropriate insult here*