Thursday, March 24, 2005

Funny Names!

Last night we went to see JEST's (Jerusalem English Speaking Theatre) performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's Iolanthe. Let me say it was wonderfully produced, directed and performed. The characters were delightful, the orchestra were talented, without a doubt the best JEST I have seen yet. (except for the small fact that Iolanthe couldn't sing, but this is not what this post is about).

There was a girl in the cast, one of the fairies, whose real name is... Mona Liss! I kid you not! My father just suggested that perhaps Hope would have been kinder, It sure is funnier.

I remember some friends of mine jokingly wanted to name their daughter Mazal. The only problem was that their surname was Taub. Mazal Taub would have been just too awful! Or another couple I love dearly who joked about naming one of their kids Buenos, surname being Harris.

As my grandfather used to say "ay ya ya ya ya aya"