Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Parked in!

Over the last few months the parking situation outside my flat has been getting progressively intolerable. Often I get home and there is no parking outside - I end up literally having to park 2 blocks away.

I guess the main reason this has become a problem is that the building next door to us was finally completed and the residents have moved in, most of them with 2 cars each. To make matters worse there are 2 old beat up cars parked nose to nose directly across the road from us. A complaint I made to the police a few months ago hadn't brought any results, which surprised me because one of the cars was half parked over a disabled space. Then the other night a tow truck turned up and took one of the cars away, and it was not the car that was half parked in the disabled space??? Oh and if that wasn't enough, there is a big rubbish bin across the road too.(the big metal ones that they stick on the sidewalk in the most inconvenient place so someone can do renovations on their flat).

Anyway the final straw came this morning. Last night I rushed our Nushy to the vet, she is running a very high temperature and hasn't eaten. My husband's ranting that I was just being a "Jewish Mother" were unfair, she is indeed sick and 2 injections later I arrive home to find only one available parking spot across the road from us, behind another disabled spot and a tree. So I park and take the cat upstairs. This morning I got up early to go to work. I wanted to leave at a decent hour today, and I prefer to be in the car by 6:30am to avoid the bulk of the traffic.

Lo and behold some shmuck has managed to squeeeeeeeze into the small space that was not really available behind my car and now I am stuck because of the tree. I had to wait till nearly 8 o'clock for one of the cars to move, not to mention the extra 40 min I had to sit in traffic to get to work. Think of all those hours sleep I could have had! DOH