Thursday, March 31, 2005

Joining the Bandwagon

I have decided to add my 2 cents worth about the arguments going on here and here in the blogosphere over JewishWhistleBlower's (JWB) somewhat reckless blogging style.

I think as bloggers we have to be responsible for what we say. If you make an accusation here in the blog world you should be prepared to face the consequences of your actions if it turns out you are wrong. Many times I read JWB's posts and think he is dangerous, and I am not the only one.

I have this to say to you JWB - I am all for opening up our communities to being scrutinized, criticized and dealt with when something is bad or corrupt in it. Which is what I think you think you are trying to do.

However, there are many cases where because of pressure and misrepresentation, innocent people are slaughtered in the public community. Besides being damaging to that person and all their friends and family, it is also damaging to the cause of trying to weed out the bad from the good. For example in the case with this teacher that Paul hints about in this post.

What if the teacher you were attacking was indeed innocent - as was proven in a court of law? Are you willing to deal fully with the consequences of your actions, and the things you have said? How can YOU be so sure, and with what right do you say the things you say against this person, with what authority do you claim they are true. Are you so confident of what you are doing that you are prepared to destroy a persons life over your vagrant accusations?

The consequences of the damage you could do to an innocent person, just by being wrong about them but not caring, are in my opinion as bad - if not worse than - if you had yourself committed the crime for which you are accusing this person. We have a moral responsibility to recognize bad where it is but at the same time to maintain integrity and make sure we know that a person is guilty before we publicly slaughter them.

Somehow I just don't think that is the case with you JWB. You are losing credibility, and that is sad because I am sure there are some genuine causes that you have fought and will fight.