Monday, August 07, 2006

15 French NGO workers killed in gun battle between army and terrorists

Kofi Annan demands immediate cease-fire, calls for emergency Security Council session.

Actually, I made the second bit up. There's been deathly silence from the UN, from the European Union, WCC and all the other vocal critics of Israel.

Why ???

Because the victims were killed in a battle between Sri Lankan forces and Tamil "rebels". Obviously, dead Lebanese civilians are much more important than dead Sri Lankan aid workers. If I wanted to give an illustration of my earlier point about why the liberal West hates Israel, I coudn't have made up a better story than this, but unfortunately it's true. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Annan to stand up and demand UN action to stop the fighting in Sri Lanka (or Somalia, or Tibet, or Congo or ......).