Thursday, January 06, 2005

Israel when it's not paradise

Sometimes things happen in this country, that make you so frustrated, all you want to do is pack up and leave. (Note I did not say go home, because Israel is meant to be my home).

I am sure I am not alone in the this country is so frustrating - what am I doing here when I can be back in *insert normal country name in here* feeling. Sometimes it is something small that sets it off - like the va'ad meeting I talked about below, or what happened to my non-Jewish Israeli friend, or maybe a something a bit more personal like my headache with National Insurance.

It is moments like these that make me feel like a traitor to the Aliyah cause. Hell! I think, I made Aliyah - it was my choice - live with Israel and all its' little perkinesses. I am talking about that famous red tape! Bureaucracy... Or in this case... Perhaps it is just the meanness of some people.

As you all know I resigned from my old job and I am meant to start my new job next week. I served out my notice till the end of last month (December) and I was expecting to be paid my salary right up till the day I left. But instead the bastards that own the company I was working for have decided to deduct money from my salary, 4000 shekels + to be exact because during Yom Kippur and Sukkot I was away from work in Hospital with hepatitis. Now the way I see it, it is not MY fault my doctor prescribed the wrong medication for me and I ended up in hospital and sick for 1 month. It is also not my fault that I have found another job and decided to part with my old company. According to the law the old company does not legally have to pay me for being ill, however at the time I was sick they did not deduct any money from my salary for the days I missed. Nor did they do it the following month or the one after that. Then the company was sold and I decided to accept a job in another company AND NOW they decide to deduct a months salary from me?

So you may ask yourself - why am I so upset? - afterall I have a new job to go to next week. Well I don't know many people who can survive in Israel without a whole months salary. In fact I know many people who struggle to survive even with their salary. The basic simple fact is that many people get themselves into situations like this where they work for months on end without pay. I think in that respect I am lucky by Feb 1st I will have some money in the bank. But what of this month? Sorry sir I can't pay my electricity bill this month I wasn't paid - let me get back to you next month!

Does anyone know any good labor lawyers here?