Thursday, February 10, 2005

Freedom of Speech

Some people bemoan the lack of the written word, the fact that people don't write letters anymore, don't send thankyou or get well cards like in the good ol' days!

In fact for years things have continued to go downhill - have you noticed the amount of abbreviated words we have "created" in our everyday correspondence? Just a few months ago my not so tech-savvy husband asked me what : ) meant? I was astounded that he did not know or could not work it out. This morning my mother asked me if I knew what "MWA" meant, as if I hadn't already been using it for months. (it means kiss - as in the sound you make when you kiss someone)

Still there are some expressions people use that I have not been able to work out - like - WOMLN?

Anyway, I just felt I had to share this SMS I got from my aunty in South Africa.

"hi so nce 2 hr frm u. hp u nd yr hbnd r wel nd rst fmly. we al wel gran sme how new jb? mwa"

translated this means

"hi so nice to hear from you. Hope you and your husband are well and the rest of the family. We are all well, gran is the same. How is your new job? kiss"

Could you imagine if we did all correspondence the way the first one was written?

"dr sir, I wld lke to aply fr psitn u plcd in th nwsppr ths wknd. pls cept my cv fr yr cnsdrtn. I hv xtnsv xprnce in mktng nd cmunictn. prticly n dealng wth ppl. I lk fwd to yr fvrble cnsidrtn. sncrly xxx"

nf sd (nuff said)