Sunday, May 01, 2005

My father used to say

My father always used to say you learn a new lesson every day. I was not aware that Israel was suffering from "overpopulation" of teachers in its' schools. I was also not aware that teachers are "overpaid" so I was shocked to read the following article in today's JP.

Education Minister Limor Livnat had justified the ultimatum by explaining that the ministry must inform local authorities about whether or not a mass dismissal of teachers would take place in time for them to prepare for the new school year in September.
In accordance with Rachlevsky's and Livnat's warnings, the ministry distributed a letter to school district directors during the first week of April instructing them to prepare lists of teachers in the category of "unnecessary" subjects such as fashion and agriculture, and teachers working less than a third of what is considered a
full-time job. At the time, Livnat had blamed the teachers' unions for "dragging their feet" to arrive at a "dead end," making it impossible to prepare the letter in time for implementing the reform next year. She also accused them of focusing on "short-term interests" and trying to "preserve their power as organizations" rather than thinking of what is in the students' best interest.
Because - hey part-time teachers don't have real jobs? Oh and those "unnecessary" subjects are the things that are not in the students best interest. Puhlease! As someone who failed academically at school, had it not been for the "unnecessary" subjects that I chose outside of Science and English literature I don't think I would have managed to go as far as I did.