Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Time to choose our spokespersons carefully

There is a tendency in crisis situations to let any old idiot speak on our behalf.

Yesterday I watch Bibi Netanyahu do just that. And while I admire the fact that he would not be drawn into a conversation, prompted by the presenter, as to whether or not he thinks Olmert is doing a good job. I have to admit it is a little bit, actually a lot, hypocritical to have him say "We withdrew from Gaza, we withdrew from Lebanon and now this is what we get."

My memory is hazy at the best of times, but I sure as hell remember that he wasn't one of the "we" agreeing to withdraw from Gaza, he was in fact the only one to resign from Government at such a critical time of the disengagement. So to use it now as moral grounds for fighting the war that we find ourselves in at the moment, OK.

But for Bibi to use it, well... seems a little hypocritical.