Thursday, July 06, 2006

So Farewell then Top of the Pops

I will always associate Top of the Pops with the Six Million Dollar Man. Why, you may ask?
Well, back in the mid 70s, on Thursday evenings, when I were a wee laddie, I would be watching the Six Million Dollar Man on TV. Seconds later, my big sister would walk into the lounge and turf me out, because she wanted to watch Top of the Pops! I was most upset.
The irony is that a few years later, as the 1980s came along, I became obsessed with the pop charts, and Top of the Pops was part of that obsession. In fact, to this very day, I still watch TOTP! So I was saddened to hear that the BBC is going to axe the show at the end of July. What a shame!
The truth is, I felt that TOTP lost its purpose, when they started tinkering with the format, and introduced acts from outside the charts. The whole point of the show all these years was to reflect the songs that were moving up the charts. These days, maybe 2 out of the 9 or 10 songs featured will be chart acts. What is the point of that?
Well, for those nostalgia freaks out there (and I am one of them!), you can watch hundreds of archive TOTP appearances on Youtube.com and pretend that nothing has changed. Is it any surprise that I never do any work?