Monday, July 17, 2006

From Haifa to Jerusalem

I never thought that Jerusalem would be considered that "safe" in war-time. But as I write this my sister-in-law and 3 kids (from Haifa) are making their way down South to stay with us until Thursday, afterwhich we will all go back up North (g-d willing) for my oldest Nephew's bar mitzvah this weekend.

Everything has been meticulously planned, he is meant to be called up to the Torah at Ahuzah shule and then a big family luncheon, culminating in a big party outside on Sunday night. Who knows what will now be, we may end up having the bar mitzvah in Jerusalem instead, but it won't be the same for him. He won't have all his friends there, he won't have the big party, and there won't be as many presents (a fact I am sure he is most upset about). Whatever happens I am sure we are all going to try and make this the best bar mitzvah no matter what. At least he will have quite a story to tell for the next 30 years.

So many people and things are affected by what is going on, and all we can do is take each day as it comes.