Thursday, August 04, 2005

Israel's double standard questioned!

At around 9pm tonight my mother called to ask me to look at channel 11 and see what was going on. At first I thought Piguah as the camera spanned a bus, windows shattered and blood stained seats. But the Hebrew subtitles said "Yeri" not Piguah. So I said to my mum there has been some kind of shooting up North - immediately assuming we had been shot at again.

It was only when my husband returned and we watched the news together that it became clear that this time one of our own had done the shooting. My immediate thought was to hope that Israel treats this terrorist exactly the way they treat Islamic ones - by banishing his family and raising their homes - why should we accept double standards.

But it only just occurred to me now that, while watching Israeli news report on channel 11, at no time did they call it a Piguah???? Now THAT is a double standard - how can we constantly abuse BBC and CNN for their editorial bias when we ourselves are just as disgusting?

One thing I know for sure - we must all speak out at this disgust - we must all condemn this soldier and any others like him out there - we must all do everything in our power to make sure this does not happen again and that we will not tolerate it - Unlike Muslim people around the world who, for the most part, keep fairly silent.